Re: Electrical Wire Safety (Underground)

John Denker put in a plug for underground wiring.

I say AMEN to that.

However, we have had a some problems in my area.
On our campus, we have had problems
that have either occurred from improper
installation and/or ground movement.

The most frequent faults have occurred where the
wires go under streets. Perhaps the road bed wasn't
prepared properly. Perhaps the wiring was not deep
enough. Perhaps the wiring trench was not repacked
properly.

Whatever the cause, we have had more losses of
power on campus due to underground faults than
we have had from above ground faults in the rest
of Bluffton, where we have mostly above ground
wiring.

When there is loss of power from an underground
fault, the situation is ugly.
(1) It takes much longer to repair. You can be
without power for a couple days.
(2) Roadways and yards get torn up badly.
(3) It can take months for nature to restore
the grass and shrubs.
(4) It can take months or years for the village
to fully repave the road to eliminate
the bump or valley created by digging up the
roadway.

Overall, I still prefer underground wiring. But
underground wiring is not problem free.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton College