Re: Way,WAY off topic diatribe -was : Paying to present

At 14:55 -0800 3/6/04, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

There's a word for this metaphor, which I've forgotten.

[You meant dregs?]

I always thought "dross" meant something like "talings" (sp?--I can't
find that in my inadequate desk dictionary)--the stuff left over
after the important ore is separated from the rest of the junk at a
mine. Dregs isn't exactly what I had in mind.

If I'm using a word whose meaning I think I know, I usually don't
look it up. Sometimes I an caught in a memory lapse. This may be one
of those times.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams