polarization

I said:

The student must accept his instructor's initial premise that the
incident microwave radiation has the polarization he alleges.
It is all a bit of a swindle, you see, so I say that one should
swindle on the side of the angels.....

and Brian Whatcott replied:

I expect that given a waveguide of the usual rectangular form,
and given that one accepts that the emergent e field is parallel
to its short side for the usual propagation mode, then one
would see that the e field is normal to the pickets of a
cake-tray polarizer?

That is my point. The student will only be able to accept that as
received knowledge. He won't be sophisticated about plumbing.

Leigh