Re: Potential of a point charge

I wrote:
| Equivalently you could set dr = +ds provided
| you write the integral as
|
| / to r
| |
| |
| / from infinity
| . . .

Quoting "RAUBER, JOEL" <JOEL_RAUBER@SDSTATE.EDU>:
in order to set dr = + ds, you should integrate from r to infinity,
correct?

In which case I think you have a typo in the above and should have the
limits reversed in the integral.

I suppose it depends on what we think the integrand is (F dot dx
or -F dot dx) and what we think the integral represents (potential
gain or potential drop).

In any case, I think Rick's basic point is a good one: There are
endless opportunities for confusion about the signs. Contributing
factors include:
-- you can integrate F dot dx or -F dot dx
-- you can swap limits of integration
-- you can calculate potential gain or potential drop
-- etc......

It's unwise to be dogmatic about the "right" choice at each of
these steps, because only the product of all the choices matters.

In general, a good rule for staying out of trouble (which I alas
violated in my previous note) is to write down a complete equation
(not a fragment) and be absolutely clear about the meaning of all
the elements of the equation.

Note: in general, the voltage difference is 1/|r_A| - 1/|r_B|
for any points A and B whatsoever (except r=0). In particular,
one point need not be radially outward from the other. So in
general we must not assume ds=dr or -ds=dr ... rather ds follows
an arbitrary curvy path between A and B.