Re: major-nonmajor

That sounds like a very reasonable approach to the problem. At least it
recognizes that there is a problem, contrary to what some here suggest. I
suspect that it is a rare non-major who can take a calc based Physics class
in most colleges and survive. I believe it is unreasonable to place a
student in that situation. We need acountability on both sides of the isle.

Fred Bucheit retired Physics teacher.

I agree with most of what Michael has written here, except that I think we
either have very different students, or a different approach to general
physics. Most upper level non-major (pre-med, comp sci mostly) students
struggle in our algebra-based general physics and only math and physics
majors ever take calculus-based.

Then again, I don't consider these introductory level courses. They are
rigorous and challenging. I've actually recently put pre-reqs on them of 4
yrs HS math and ACT of 24 and HS physics, or the relevant intro level
courses (pre-calc, intro physics). Then, our intro level courses really
are intro level and are equally open to all majors.

Yes, that means that non-majors will be competing with majors in those
courses, but only with those majors who have weak incoming skills or who
haven't taken HS physics. The others will skip right over the intro level
courses.

>I think a good HS graduate who is not a science major can take my
>calculus-based introductory physics course along with the physics
>majors. Indeed, many have done so.

Create your own personal Web page with the info you use most, at My MSN.