Re: Taking the long term view in education (Was: Definition of Capacitance)

--- John Clement <clement@HAL-PC.ORG> wrote:
SNIP

Hi John -
An interesting expy my last year at Apex HS in NC. In
August I gave the FCI as a pre-exam to my new AP
class. Newbies, including one student who had had a
non-IE course the year before, averaged around 10 (as
usual for this group). With one exception, all of my
former students equalled or bettered their May
post-instruction scores (at which time all had scored
21 or better). The one student who declined went from
29 t0 27 - still quite solid understanding of
Newtonian mechanics. Of course, this group was not a
random sample of the total student population. Results
agree with Hestenes' data which shows that the gains
achieved with Modeling are the best for the brightest
students.

Cheers, John Barrere

PS - Surgery date is 3/8. Last week I had a
color-enhanced ultrasound which fortunately showed no
evidence of non-organ-confined disease.