Re: Standing waves

The power formula in a textbook is derived
by integrating kinetic energy along one
lambda and then potential energy along one
lambda. The two are added and the sum is
divided by the period T. This gives

P=0.5*mu*w^2*A^2*v

where mu is mass per unit length, w is the
angular frequency, A is the amplitude and
v is the phase velocity. It is clear that mu
and v are constant. The relationship is
between three variables: P, w and A.

mu is predetermined by the string
v is imposed (caused) by tension and w is
imposed by the generator. What would be
wrong if somebody expected A to control
P and not P to control A? In other words, why
should power be the same as one goes
from a lower w to a higher w?
Ludwik Kowalski