Re: rolling/erratum

I agree with Justin's statement given here below.
(And I agree with John M that my hasty post at lunchtime
was both confusing and erroneous in finger pointing both
Justin and Daniel)

Reviewing Justin's original statement of the problem,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>"Halliday et al (5th? ed.),ch. 12 question 5:
>
> "A woman rolls a cylindrical drum, by means of a board on top,
>through the distance L/2, which is half the board's length.
> The drum rolls smoothly, and the board does not slide
> over the drum.
> a) What length of board has rolled over the top of the drum?
> b) How far has the woman walked?"
>
> The answers in the book are L and 1.5 L. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...I see that he can agree with Halliday's answer to a) but he can
reasonably defend L/2 for a)
So it is b) that concerns him.
In fact John M. says Halliday is wrong here.

In the same admirable manner as Justin, I rolled a ballpoint
with a rule, and found that the rule could be held at a variety
of positions during the roll. I think one would need to shift
the position at which the rule or board is held in order to have
moved 1.5L along the ground.
Values of L to 2L would be defensible in this manner, I suppose.
Hence in charity, I suggest b) is not constrained completely.

Still, a wonderful puzzle for exposing splendid, less than
gesundheit ..er.. I mean "gedanken experiment" fallacies.

Brian W