Re: The End of Hands-On Science Activities in California's K-8 Classrooms? - ERRATA

There were at least 4 Errata in my last post Hake (2004):

111111111111111111111111111111111111
1. The first sentence was: "If you reply to this LONG (29kB) post
please do NOT do so by hitting the reply button [the bane of
discussion lists - see Hake (2004b)] and thereby inflicting it yet
again on suffering subscribers."

Ralph Raimi has reminded me that not ALL discussion-list servers/mail
systems are set such that hitting the reply button sends the entire
replied to post to the list. Therefore a better wording would have
been: "If you reply to this LONG (29kB) post please do NOT do so by
hitting the reply button [the bane of discussion lists - see Hake
(2004b)] and thereby running the risk of inflicting it yet again on
suffering subscribers."

22222222222222222222222222222222222
2. I wrote "In the Hake (2003a,b,c) vs Wurman (2003a,b) debate on . . . ."

The reference Wurman (2003b) was inadvertently omitted. It's

Wurman, Z. 2003b. "Re: Howard Gardner Quotes," Math-Teach/POD post of
11 May 2003 14:50:12-0700; online at
<http://listserv.nd.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0305&L=pod&O=A&F=P&P=13509>.
Wurman evidently cc'd his post to POD, PhysLrnR, and STLHE-L; but his
cc'd post appeared only on POD, evidently because Wurman is not a
subscriber to the latter two lists..

3333333333333333333333333333333333
3. The reference Gross (2000) contained two link-rotted URL's. The
correct reference with operative URL's is:

Gross, P.R. 2000. "Politicizing Science Education"; online at
<http://www.edexcellence.net/foundation/publication/publication.cfm?id=43>;
prepared for the Thomas B. Fordham foundation
<http://www.edexcellence.net/foundation/global/index.cfm>.

I thank Ralph Raimi for pointing out this deficiency. I should have
abided by suggestion #9 of Hake (2004b):

"9. Give URL's as <http://www......> (note the angle brackets) so
that they will be hot-linked and such that the hot-linking will
survive line breaks in most (but not all) mail systems. CLICK ON ALL
URL'S IN YOUR MESSAGE TO BE SURE THEY WORK."

444444444444444444444444444444444
4. The reference Woolf (2004) was incomplete. It should have been:

Woolf, L. 2004. "Re: The End of Hands-On Science Activities in
California's K-8 Classrooms?"; online at
<http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0401&L=physhare&O=D&P=13211>.
Post of 28 Jan 2004 22:45:53-0800 to PhysLrnR, Phys-L, Physhare, &
POD. Later forwarded to AERA-K, Biopi-L, Math-Teach, and Math-Learn.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>