Re: Total Internal Reflection

I would highly recommend the Sept 1968 issue of Scientific American.
The theme of the issue is light. In particular, Victor Weisskopf's
article "How Light Interacts with Matter," pp 60-71 addresses your
question from a Huygen's wavelet point-of-view. Wolfgang

A point of curiosity, if you can help.

A wave is traveling from a slow to a faster material. At the critical
angle the wave is totally reflected. I know the math. I know the argument
that the exiting wave has a limited finite speed and can play Huygens'
principle to get all the way to the critical angle. One would think a HS
teacher should be happy. We know it happens and we can solve problems
about it happening but I cannot answer the very curious student (me
included) who wants a deeper understanding, a mechanism for this
happening. My assortment of texts did not do it for me. Can any of you?

Actually, I am not sure I can adequately explain why reflection works the
way it does in general.

Happy Friday!

Ken Fox