Re: Fluorescent light - standing waves

I think the tube may have leaked * so the distance electrons must travel
to gain sufficient KE to ionize the gas has increased. If I remember
from the distant past when I played with long tubes, such behavior is
common in partially evacuated tubes with high voltage applied to the end
electrodes. The features are named, e.g. Crooks dark space, cathode
glow, Faraday dark space, positive column, etc. I've noticed the
movement, but w/o further thought I can't add to BW's explanation.
Harnwell points out that sometimes oscillations obscure the striations
in the positive column.

* Also, the emission from the end electrodes may have decreased
resulting in a lower current density. This would result in loss of a
continuous plasma.

bc