Re: point particles

From: "John Denker"
-- At the most superficial level, it's a tautology. If you make
a model that assumes certain things are pointlike, then it's
circular to ask why they are assumed to be pointlike.

I don't really think so. No reasonable model would make such an assumption
without cause. Since the model has gained wide spread acceptance as a
reasonable model the question arises what's the cause? Why are pointlike
particles necessary in the function of the model? There has to be more to
it than we are unable to measure any size. Assuming particles to be point
sized because we can't find any size would be like Galileo concluding that
light is infinite because he can measure its speed. Completely
unreasonable.