Re: Reticule Slides /offtopic?

electron microscope replication * claims one micron resolution --
unfortunately the contrast is rather low. Pella's kit is $80.

* assumes you have a reticule to copy.

How about support grids and grid support mesh -- 15 cm square mesh 3/
pkg. are only $20. bar width 200 micron; space 340. Is 200 mesh
copper grid finer? mmmm they have 1000 mesh calibration grids.

Best? SEM low magnification calibration ruler discs special * $33.
(pkg. of ten unmounted) 100 markings with divisions 0.01 mm. (on Ni
plated Cu)

lower on page $127.5 (usual price?)

"One could take a 35 mm black and white
photo at a suitable scale to produce a 100 X 0.01 = 1 mm
graticule. But I would be uneasy with it - even stuck on a glass.
Plastic is so inconstant in size."

This was a problem w/ nuclear emulsion I thought solved.

bc, who notes that Edmund's 2003 catalog prices eyepiece reticules at
$28.5 various scales for diff. objective powers. e.g. 5X: 2 mm / 100 div.

Brian Whatcott wrote:

I bid on a reticule slide on eBay last week.
I lost the bidding which went to $36 plus.
I was surprised.

So I pondered making one.

One could take a 35 mm black and white
photo at a suitable scale to produce a 100 X 0.01 = 1 mm
graticule. But I would be uneasy with it - even stuck on a glass.
Plastic is so inconstant in size.

I considered a gelatin/bichromate coated slide approach, but I was
disappointed to read that I could not expect great resolution.
This photoresist method might allow a hydrofluoric acid etch
(dangerous though it is...)

So then I looked into liquid photo emulsions.
They seem to run $22 to $29 for the minimum sale quantity,
of 8 ounce or 250 mL depending...
and if the gelatin doesn't peel (countered by a substrate of
synthetic lacquer.) one could develop, fix, and cover.

I hear someone whispering there is another method,
more accessible, more convenient.
I wonder what it is?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK