Re: Martian Sky Colour

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Sylvester [mailto:msylvest@XNET.IT]
Sent: Sunday, January 18, 2004 4:51 AM

What do we expect the Martian sky to look
like as a consequence of the atmospheric composition of Mars?

I've seen pictures from Spirit showing a red sky, and websites suggesting
that the colour balance has been (deliberately!?) distorted. Other versions
of the same pictures show a blue or a white sky.

My understanding is that the red sky toward the horizon on Mars is due to fine dust in the atmosphere. I would expect the overhead sky to approach black since the path length through the dust is less than near the horizon.

"Border relations between Canada
and Mexico have never been better."
- President George W. Bush
George Spagna