Astronomy Camp for Educators 2004

Everyone,

Below is a description of the University of Arizona Astronomy Camp for
Educators (ACE) that I help run. This year's ACE is scheduled from June
24th to June 28th. If you think you might be interested in attending,
visit the Camp website at www.astronomycamp.org for more info, photos, and
registration instructions. If you have any questions that the website
doesn't answer, please feel free to email me directly. We also have Camps
(beginning and advanced) for teens and non-educator adults, too.

Jeff

Jeffrey R. Regester 781-283-2708
Whitin Observatory jregester@wellesley.edu
Wellesley College fax 781-283-3667
Wellesley MA 02481 www.wellesley.edu/Astronomy

Since 1988, the University of Arizona (UA) Alumni Association and Steward
Observatory have offered Astronomy Camps for Teens, Adults, and school
groups. In 1996, we began the Astronomy Camp for Educators. Participants
experience the life of an astronomer, spending 3 nights using 40", 60" and
61" telescopes equipped with photographic and CCD cameras, spectrographs,
and other instruments to study the celestial objects of their choice.
There is also plenty of plain stargazing and informal opportunities to
interact with professional astronomers.

Other activities include: Lectures by professional astronomers, a
planetarium orientation, a tour of the University's large Mirror Lab and
other facilities, "bull sessions", volleyball, billiards and hiking, and a
"swap meet" for astronomy teaching ideas and materials. Teachers at all
levels are encouraged to apply. No prior knowledge of astronomy is
necessary.

As part of a group of up to 20 educators, you interact informally with
professional astronomers, live in astronomers' dorms, and personally
explore the heavens with the 40-inch and 60-inch research telescopes on
Mt. Lemmon and the 61-inch telescope atop Mt. Bigelow. You are assisted,
as needed, by University astronomers and experienced educators. This staff
is available full-time to discuss modern topics and discoveries ranging
from the solar system to cosmology and the space program.

Astronomy Camps emphasize "learning by doing." By providing personal
control of modern research telescopes and instruments, the Camps
communicate the excitement of research and the relevance of seemingly
diverse fields such as physics, engineering (optics, mechanical,
electronic, computer, etc.), geology, mathematics, etc. As a participant,
you experience the process of scientific discovery first-hand and
accumulate many new educational ideas and materials for your students.

The setting is atop Mt. Bigelow (8235 feet) and Mt. Lemmon (9150 feet) in
the colorful and diverse environment of the Santa Catalina Mountains north
of Tucson. Despite the summer desert environment, daily temperatures at
the observatory will be comfortable, ranging from 50-85°F. Windy
conditions are possible. Because of the high altitude and long night
observing sessions, the Camp can be physically challenging. Anyone
suffering from respiratory problems, arthritis, or any condition that
limits physical mobility and endurance should probably not participate.

Tuition for this camp is $450 for 3 nights. Unfortunately, we cannot
guarantee clear nights for observing. Our camps are scheduled, based on
historical weather patterns, to take advantage of Arizona's usually clear
skies; only one of 30 previous camps has been completely cloudy. If
weather conditions prevent observing, many substitute activities are
planned such as image processing of visible and infrared images obtained
recently by the hosting astronomers and a wide variety of educational
activities, labs, and construction projects. There can be no refunds due
to weather conditions.