Re: test grades

Should a student who earns a failing grade on every test (including
the final exam) have any possibility of passing the course even if
quizzes, homework assignments, labs, and attendance (and any other
pertinent factors) are all in good order?

Lurking behind this question, it seems to me, is the basic question
of how much credit to give for quizzes, homework, attendance, etc.
On the one hand we'd like to give it a LOT of credit so that students
are motivated to DO the work that is necessary for success in the
course. (Even though the fact that it IS necessary ought to provide
motivation enough, we all know better.) On the other hand, we want
grades--especially GOOD grades--to reflect achievement more than
effort which argues AGAINST making quizzes, homework, etc. count for
very much.

For some time now I have been very satisfied using a nonlinear scheme
for combining "effort" (i.e., quizzes, homework, etc.) and exam
scores that I describe to students as follows: "I want to insure
that solid, good faith effort in the course is rewarded with a
passing grade while reserving higher grades-especially A's-for
demonstrated achievement on Exams. Accordingly, your grade will be
based on your "Exam Score" with increasingly liberal breakpoints
based on your "Effort Score" at the lower grade levels..."

To be specific, to get an "A," a student needs to perform above a
certain FIXED level on exams. No amount of "effort" will substitute.
In my introductory courses I happen to set the "A" breakpoint at the
80% level.

To get a "B," I allow the breakpoint to decrease with "effort." To
be specific, with an "effort" score of zero, one must achieve 70% or
better on the exams. With a perfect "effort" score one can get a B
with 60% or better on exams.

For C's, the levels are 60% with zero effort proceeding down to 40%
with perfect "effort."

Finally, D's run from 50% with zero effort down to 20% (!!) with
perfect effort.

The appropriate break points will vary from instructor to instructor,
but perhaps you get the idea.

I really like this system because it saves me from two very awkward
situations: 1) Having to give good students low grades because of a
lack of homework and 2) having to fail conscientious, hard working
students. Furthermore it does this WHILE providing a large incentive
for weak students to do the homework AND insuring that the higher
grades go ONLY to students who demonstrate some level of achievement
on exams.

If you like, you can see the particulars in a current syllabus at

<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm/classes/phy131/>