Re: test grades

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, RAUBER, JOEL wrote:

Opinion: I usually agree with Rick on these type of issues, but as he said
I'll buck a trend. Generally speaking I'd say I lean towards "no" as well;
with all the well reasoned caveats of Spagna; in particular, you should
follow your weighting scheme of your syllabus.

Just another note on following your syllabus: in today's world
that syllabus can be considered a contract. If you deviate very far from
the grading scheme you laid out at the beginning of the course, the
student may have some sort of recourse for action against you. I
intentionally try to make my grading scheme have a few loopholes. for
example I don't state what I do if the course average is, say 89.7.
Rounding is at my discretion, so that grade could go to an A- or a B+.

Mike Monce
Connecticut College