From: "Herbert H Gottlieb" <herbgottlieb@JUNO.COM>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 2:54 PM
Subject: Re: Do you use the term SWAG in your teaching?

On Fri, 09 Jan 2004 11:41:59 -0600 Charles Bell <charbell@BELLSOUTH.NET>
writes:
Do you use the term SWAG in your teaching?
or swag ( scientific wild a s s guess).
No hurt intended.
I was sure that this term was very standard communication.
Like "take a swag" at it.

I was challenged recently and told that I could not "say" that word
anymore. When I looked it up and did a search on it, it does not seem
to show
up? Well, you know how I felt. So I was wondering.
This world is a strange place.

I ran up against the same kind of objections when I referred to
precise lab measurements that were only about "+/- 3 rch"
accurate. I don't use that term any more either.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where our measurements are not always perfectly precise either.)