From: "Bob Sciamanda" <trebor@VELOCITY.NET>
To: <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, January 07, 2004 10:11 AM
Subject: Re: Impedance &c.

The total energy delivered is W = V I T = V K, where K is a constant (as
the
load R is varied) and V is the terminal voltage (across R).

1) If the cell is ideal (r= 0) then both V and K are constant as we vary
R,
and so W = VK is independent of R

2) If the cell is non-ideal (has r>0), then if we
a) lower R, I will increase, K will stay fixed, and V will decrease => W =
VK decreases.
b) increase R, I will decrease, K will stay fixed, and V will increase =>
= VK increases. IE., if r>0 W increases with increasing R - there is no
maximum.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
http://www.velocity.net/~trebor/
trebor@velocity.net

--
"Don't push the river, it flows by itself"
Frederick Perls