Re: reality of PE, was: Derive energy from angular KE of earth?

In perhaps a more fruitful discussion of the term energy, I thought
that Gene Hecht's recent article on Nov03 TPT (freely available at
<http://ojps.aip.org/dbt/dbt.jsp?KEY=PHTEAH&Volume=41&Issue=8>
) was an extraordinary example of a scholarly look at physics
language and conceptual development. I thought of Jim when
I read it; it implies calor has mass :^)

See
An Historico-Critical Account of Potential Energy: Is PE Really Real?
Eugene Hecht
pp. 486-493

I THINK that I remember Feynman stating in his 'lectures' that
heating a block of metal does not change it's mass. PERHAPS he used
some appropriate 'waffle words', but wouldn't the additional KE of
the atoms result in greater mass for the block????

If not, why not.
britton@ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 416-2762 Albert Einstein, 1936