Re: impulse/momentum

I agree with Herb. The first day should put something real in their hands,
require a measurement, establish that this is the only source of the
numbers available for computation, that uncertainty will forever flavor the
results of mathematical tools. One personal favorite was to empty the
classroom onto a campus pathway, ask each person to walk away from a
computer monitor just far enough to align a set of sight and audible clues
to measure the speed of sound. My professed tactic has always been "...I'll
throw your body in first and bring your mind in later."

Tom Ford

At 12:33 AM 12/16/03 -0500, you wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:42:35 -0500 Bob Sciamanda <trebor@VELOCITY.NET>
writes:
> Early in my teaching career I decided to devote the entire first
> lecture of the beginning intro course to giving the students at least a

> tentative philosophic framework on which they might hang the ideas to
be
> developed in their study of physics.

*** Such a lecture is an EXCELLENT idea. However, I suggest
that you give it at the end of the course rather than give
it on the first day! Students will appreciate it more.

Herb Gottlieb

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
A nice friendly place to live and visit