From: Forum for Physics Educators
[mailto:PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu] On Behalf Of Rick Tarara
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 10:02 AM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: causation

I think the view expressed by many here has not been to look
at F = ma as a cause and effect equation, but rather to
contend that accelerations themselves are caused by forces
(but forces are not caused by accelerations). The thinking
goes--you want an object to accelerate. How do you
accomplish such? You apply a net force in the direction of
the desired acceleration. Therefore, the acceleration can be
said to be caused
by the applied force(s). At least in the Newtonian scheme, all
accelerations require a net force and one or more agents that
provide the force(s). I push the table, it accelerates.
Seems like a cause and effect relationship? In what
scenarios (likely to be encountered in intro physics
instruction) is this not the case?