Re: Centrifugal force

The alternative way to talk about the sensations in the rotor ride or in
other accelerating frames is to consider your sensation of weight as you sit
in a stationary chair or stand on a floor. We have come to interpret the
upward force of the chair or the floor as being the sensation of weight.
Therefore, when the chair is pulled out or we step off the roof of a
building, our sensation of weightlessness is because we have removed the
force that we normally perceive as weight. [Here weight is defined as the
earth's gravitational pull on one--not the alternative and equally valid
'what the scale reads' definition.]

In other words, we have come to learn to experience many forces
'backwards'--hence our belief in the centrifugal force in the rotor ride.
We can even create the sensation of weight by having the 'upwards' force in
the absence of the downward force of gravity (accelerating space
ship--rotating space station). In this mode, orbital motion is NOT
weightless, only apparently so since the pull of the earth is still about
90% what it would be on the surface, but because of the constant falling of
the orbital ship, there are no 'upwards' forces to give us the sensation of
weight. [Hecht, for one, follows this line.]

IMHO, this is not a bad way to go with an introductory class, especially a
liberal arts type class. It keeps one firmly set in the inertial frame
viewpoint and preserves Newton for all these motions.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Standing Waves on a String--lab simulation
Energy 2100--class project
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ENERGY_PROJECT/ENERGY2100.htm