Re: Centrifugal force

But Herb, that "real" force, tension, gravity, or whatever, is applied by another object, and that other object should "feel" the opposite force, n'est pas?
skip

-----Original Message-----
From: Herbert H Gottlieb [mailto:herbgottlieb@JUNO.COM]
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 07:28
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Re: Centrifugal force

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 07:04:57 -0600 "Kilmer, Skip" <kilmers@GREENHILL.ORG>
writes:
I've never really understood Physics teachers' distaste for the
phrase, centrifugal force. Doesn't N3 tell us that for every
centripetal
force on an object there is an equal centrifugal force on another
object?

Physics teachers try to avoid confusion between a real force
which can be applied to a moving object (centripetal force)
and the reaction to this force (centrifugal force).

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where we can only apply centripetal forces and are not
surprised when we get the expected centrifugal reaction)