Re: Words and Concepts Physics( was causation)

Besides teaching introductory physics and various advanced courses when
my rotation comes up, I also make it a point every semester to teach one
course for non-science majors - conceptual physics, astronomy, or
meteorology. Most of these students come in with a firm Aristotelian
view of the world and an understanding of why events occur that doesn't
get beyond 'stuff happens'! I am overjoyed to have them leave using
common sense to explain how elementary physical processes occur. I see
cause and effect, in this case, as a goal - not an anachronism. :-)

Bob at PC

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

Calling an association, cause and effect is an anthropomorphism. Much
human experience is obviously cause and result. Using commonsense to
"explain" physical behavior is like using N. mechanics to explain the
microscopic behavior of electrons, etc. I don't think explaining to
students Physics is not like human behavior would kill their interest.
Finding associations or fitting data to equations should be just as
exciting, nicht wahr?

bc