Re: The old centrifugal force

The mechanisms involved in this example are so obvious it would be
difficult to say 'Oh, the circular path of the truck is due to an
acceleration field in the vicinity of the track.' Kind of like using a
sledgehammer to kill an ant.

Bob at PC

Brian Whatcott wrote:

I now set both trains in motion. The block on the inner
truck begins to roll off sidewards, as before.

Now it touches and compresses the buffer springs on the
outer truck. The compression of these springs is a measure of
the force needed to hold the block on its inwards acceleration:
This force is passed by the outer truck to its wheel flanges
in the usual way. Lets call it an effective centripetal force.

I see it, and I am stationary in the lab frame.
This force is only available to masses which are accelerating.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!