Re: Causation in Physics: F=ma

At 02:34 AM 11/15/2003, Stephen Speicher, you wrote:
[ Brian Whatcott]

> Supposing I can point to a causal event that is simultaneous
> with a resulting event in some frame,

"Supposing" such is a contradiction of special relativity --
there cannot be a causal connection between space-like events.

Supposing that the word "causal" is problematic to Relativists,
let me put this proposition:
"Supposing I can point to an event that is simultaneous
with a resulting event in some frame"

...does it follow that I can find some frame where either
event precedes the other?

I imagine the answer is
"yes".

For two events to be causally related a signal must be sent from
one event to the other, and special relativity places a finite
limit on the speed of the signal. All observers will agree on the
temporal ordering of two causally related events.

Thank you. That was helpful.

> it looks as though /// Stephen
> is the person to explain why
> "The relativity of simultaneity" just ain't so?

The fact that in special relativity the speed of physical signals
are limited by c, implies the invariance of causality. This fact
does not contradict the relativity of simultaneity. Please see
any decent introductory text on special relativity for a detailed
discussion of this.

--
Stephen

I am glad to be reassured that simultaneous events are not
simultaneous in all frames, but rather, there is a class of
events called "cause" and "effect" events which need more
careful discussion in order to avoid paradoxes.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!