Re: Peroidic Table (was exclusion principle which was electrons)

On 11/14/2003 09:01 PM, Craig Lucanus wrote:

> We have devised a set of mathematical rules that seems to fit the
> observations of chemical properties, with a basis in numerology, if
> that's what you want to call quantum numbers,

That's the wording most people would choose. Quantum
mechanics is science. Numerology is not; it has to
do with the occult, essentially the opposite of science.

> and a knowledge of the number of
> electrons in an atom. The exclusion principle is one of the
> fundamental mathematical rules.

OK.

> Applying these rules requires a bit of jiggery- pokery too, like
> starting to fill outer shells before inner ones are full, without any
> numerological (mathematical) basis for doing so,

It's not jiggery-pokery. It's physics. It's potential
energy and kinetic energy and the equation of motion.
The mathematical and physical basis is well established.

> Nobody has determined, ab initio at least, why this should occur,

Really?

The current state of the art is to calculate _ab initio_
not just atoms but molecules. I've seen papers on things
as big and tricky as benzene. Also molecules with
transition elements in them.

I get 20,000 hits from
http://www.google.com/search?q=ab-initio+quantum-chemistry

> .... the approximation
> based on the H-atom we are currently stuck with,

We aren't stuck with that. Haven't been for decades.
http://www.nobel.se/chemistry/laureates/1998/