Re: Classroom Feedback Systems

Tim Folkerts queried:

We are looking into using a classroom feedback system - probably the
Personal Response System (PRS) that Prentic Hall distributes. There were a
couple of old posts in the archive, but systems like this change rapidly in
a couple of years, so I was hoping some of you might have some experience
and opinions.

My basic questions are:
* What systems are available?
* How difficult it to use the hardware?
* How difficult is it to use the software?
* Do you make students buy the units, bolt them to the table, or hand them
out each class? Why?
* What types of activities do you do with the system? How frequently?
* What kind of information is stored? How do you use that information?
* (Most importantly) Do you think it aids student learning?

I use the CPS system <http://www.einstruction.com/>. Our school
bought a bunch of sets of hardware and we put the software on every
classroom computer.

I have taken the trouble of typing into it all the standard
ClassTalk-type questions I know about, including all those from
Mazur's book. You can find them as PDF files here:
<http://usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/CPS/CPS.html>. I keep this set
on our dept server, so I can access it from any computer.

We used to use a calculator-type system that used TI-82 (or some
such) calculators connected to ports by cables. It was terrible:
students had to log in, wires kept breaking, etc.

CPS uses foolproof infrared remotes that only have 8 large buttons
labeled "A" through "H" plus a large number on the front running from
1 to 24. (Our classes are restricted to 24 students or less :-). The
students sit in 3 rows. I keep the remotes in 3 boxes and pass one
box down each row at the beginning of every class. At the end of
every class I collect the boxes and carry them back to my office. (I
have been doing this for 2 years and so far haven't lost a single
remote or had a student walk off with one.)

On the first day of class, I ask each student to note both on a
roster I pass around and in their notebooks what remote number they
have. Every class they then take the same one. Since I distribute the
remotes every single class, they quickly have their number memorized.

I type their name into the software next to their remote number. From
them on, the system keeps track of their answers. No log in or
initialization required. In principle this also means I automatically
have a record of attendance but here at the Academy that isn't a
problem anyhow. (Students are not permitted to miss class without an
official excusal :-).

The classes have an overhead computer projector and screen. The
system puts up a question. Along the bottom of the screen are two
legible stripes listing the remote numbers in white boxes. The boxes
turn blue as the students answer. If they change their answer,
various colors flash (to indicate they picked a different answer,
tried an invalid answer, etc). So I can see how rapidly people are
answering. When I click a button, a histogram appears. I can then
choose to display the answer, ask someone to explain, or repeat the
question with a hint or the suggestion that they confer together.

Periodically I download the number of times they answered and give
them "participation" credit. I used to but no longer give extra
points if they got it right, because that skews how they answer (and
slows the answers tremendously, and makes them feel bad if they get
lots wrong in a row).

There are other features (eg. jeopardy-style quizzes) but I don't use them.

At the beginning of class I connect a small "flying saucer" remote
receiver into the COM port on the PC and set it on top of a wooden
post I keep in the class. I then start the software and select my
section and the database of questions for that day's lecture. As you
can see from my PDF files above, I have 8 databases per semester. (It
is possible to make finer or broader databases, but I find this works
well for me.) At the end of class I carry off the receiver in the 3
stacked remote boxes.

I think the system is great from several points of view:

* the students like having the change of pace of a question as a
break from lecture;
* it gives me the chance to erase the boards, set up a demo, etc;
* it gives me feedback on student thinking;
* it provides a nice set of conceptual questions that I can draw from
for exams (and the students know I'll always draw a few, so they pay
attention to them).

YMMV, Carl
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst. Prof. of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
U.S. Naval Academy, Stop 9C, Annapolis, MD 21402-5040