Re: The old centrifugal force

This is just like the Ferris Wheel which I used extensively to discuss this.
Look for the forces that 'cause' the centripetal acceleration at 12,9,6,and
3--rider facing left and wheel rotating counter-clockwise (also no safety
bar).

To answer your question--look at the 6 position. Two forces--the earth
pulling down on the person and the chair bottom pushing up. But the up push
has to be greater than the down pull by Mv^2/R. The seat is pushing up with
more force than just the person's weight. Your track is pushing on the ball
with more force than just the normal weight component--otherwise there is no
acceleration. The ball is trying to move in a straight line but the track
has to apply enough force to keep the direction changing.

BTW: This really is similar to your car problem. The car wants to keep
moving in a straight line but the frictional interaction between the tire
and the road keeps it from doing so (sliding). It is the inertia of the car
that is equivalent to the push you apply with your foot against the floor to
get the floor to push you forward.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Standing Waves on a String--lab simulation
Energy 2100--class project
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ENERGY_PROJECT/ENERGY2100.htm