Re: Peroidic Table (was exclusion principle which was electrons)

On 11/14/2003 01:34 PM, J. Green wrote:

In the absence of exclusion, the configurations would be:
1s1, 1s2, 1s3, 1s4, 1s5.

But then I would say that that's not what's observed.

Quite so! Indeed that's not what's observed!

So we have a proof by contradiction: We conclude
that the hypothetical absence of exclusion is an
untenable hypothesis. Quod erat demonstrandum.

The observed properties of the periodic table are
powerful evidence that the usual formulation of
the exclusion principle is exactly right.

To claim that the exclusion principle is based merely
on so-and-so-said-so is to feign ignorance of the
periodic table and a dozen other well-established
physical facts.