Re: Causation in Physics: F=ma

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, John S. Denker wrote:

On 11/14/2003 11:10 AM, Joseph Bellina wrote:
> And if you have a counterexample, then
> there is nothing to prove.

What do you mean, "if"?

I exhibited a counterexample. So we agree I have
nothing more to prove.

> Perhaps, John, you want to rephrase what you wrote?

I see no need to rephrase anything. I have argued
that F does not cause ma, and ma does not cause F.
I have not seen anything resembling a counterargument.

what you demonstrated was the calculational equivalency. But that
equivalency is not the basis for the causal claim. Hence it isn't a
counterexample. Further the appeal to proof is specious, since proof
never is the issue.

Joseph
J. Bellina, Jr. 574-284-4662 Associate Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN 46556