Re: exclusion principle (was electrons)

On 11/13/2003 02:30 PM, J. Green wrote:
> Hydrogen ... and Helium ... have differenced that can be explained by
> their proton count.

This uses the word "explain" in a manner that is
unfamiliar to me.

The chemistry of helium is different from the
chemistry of hydrogen for reasons that are well
explained by the LAWS OF PHYSICS taking into
account the number of electrons and the known
properties of electrons, including the exclusion
principle.

As James Randi says, extraordinary claimes require
extraordinary proof. The claim that the proton
somehow participates in the chemical bond is in
conflict with essentially everything we know about
atomic/molecular physics.

> The issue was that the exclusion principle was THE explaination for
> the differences between H and He. I merely provided an alternate
> explaination that had nothing to do with the exclusion principle,

Proton count does not "explain" the non-reactivity of
helium. Most of the people on this list are experts
in physics, not numerology. When I learned to count,
they must have forgotten to teach me why two was a
non-reactive number while all the other one-digit
numbers are reactive numbers.

If you change your mind and decide you want to start
doing physics, let us know.

> My intent was SPECIFICALLY to stay away from the exclusion principle.
> I just want to try to understand the electron itself,

Oh, so the idea is to understand electrons, while
SPECIFICALLY staying away from the known properties
of electrons.

On 11/13/2003 02:43 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

> .... the protons determine the number of electrons (outside
> the nucleus), which determine the chemical and physical props,

Actually not. It is interesting and instructive to
consider muonic atoms. Muonic helium has the usual
alpha particle for a nucleus, surrounded by one muon
and one electron.

Do you think this will be about as reactive as hydrogen,
or about as reactive as ordinary helium?

Add this to your list of observations that shed light
on the exclusion principle.