Re: The Electron

I like Josh's eloquent expression of the puzzlement that most of
us experience when we first confront the Quantum universe:
"We talk about things as if they ARE as the models say they are,
when we really don't know what is really going on."

This puzzlement makes the unstated assumption that there is some
kinde of "reality" beyond the models. The closest we know how to judge
whether we are grasping "reality" is our ability to predict experimental
results. Our grasp of the the reality of our model of the muon, e.g., is
measured by a prediction of the magnetic moment that is accurate to a few
parts in (as I recall) 10*11. I have contended that we will not be able
to do better than that until we have "solved" the problems posed by QCD.
There are pictures that go with the muon magnetic-moment
calculation (Feynman diagrams) that lend themselve to language
descriptive of "internal structure", vacuum polarization, and the like,
and such pictures are sometimes an aid to our intuition. Sometimes,
however, the pictures can lead us astray (example: trying to understand
"dark energy" as the energy of the vacuum).
Regards,
Jack