BlackBoard users

BlackBoard, now version 6, is a popular
software package for teaching over the
Internet. I am using its quiz and grade book
tools to supplement face-to-face interactions.

To my horror I discovered that while the mean
grade calculated by Blackboard (for any given
column) is correct the corresponding standard
deviation is much too small. It would be a
disaster if scores were turned into letter grades
by using their standard deviation. How comes
that such bug has not been discovered years
ago?

Please check my observation on your campuses;
the bug might be local, not general. And please
share your observations, especially if it is a false
alarm. To perform statistical analysis on a set of
scores (in a column) do ths:

a) go to CONTROL PANEL, then to GRADEBOOK
b) Click on the name of a column you want
c) From a menu that appears click ITEM DETAILS
This will display the results.
Ludwik Kowalski