Re: Newton's second law

I've been following this thread with interest as I've been bothered by
the same things as Justin.

It seems to me that there are three important points to consider:

1. Newton's second law relates the force *on the system* with the change
in momentum *of the system*. What does it mean to say that the mass of
the system changes? Consider, for example, if I was sitting on the
train. I have a certain momentum. Then, all of a sudden, I look at my
hand. My hand has a different momentum. Oh no...vdm/dt is not zero!
But v hasn't changed!

2. In the context of F_net = dp/dt, mass "disappearing" is more akin to
*momentum* disappearing. In other words, the mass doesn't really leave
the system. Rather, the momentum of the "lost" mass changes to zero.
In terms of Newton's second law, we can apply the law twice, once to the
train and once to the sand, then (along with Newton's third law) and
show (using dm for the mass of the sand) that

0 = m_train dv_train/dt + v_train dm/dt

is true only if the mass of the sand goes from v_train to zero.

3. In Justin's original example (of sand being thrown perpendicular to
the tracks), we have to keep in mind that Newton's second law is a
vector equation. The system, in this case, includes the earth and the
earth/train gains a momentum opposite to the momentum imparted to the
sand. The momentum of the system in the forward does not change.

Am I on the "right track" here? (sorry - couldn't resist)
Robert Cohen; 570-422-3428; www.esu.edu/~bbq
East Stroudsburg University; E. Stroudsburg, PA 18301