Re: Numbers

I forgot to mention some believe counting was done before the invention
of writing. i.e. before 3k bce.

I suppose you all know where we got the inconvenient sexigesimal system?

bc

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

I think algebra * was invented in the middle ages by the Muslims. The
"Ancient" Egyptians knew surveying because of the periodic fluding of
the Nile. I think the Iraqis counted *, what 3k years ago?

* Arabic word, sounds similar to many stars.

[This is from my Ancient History class in ~ 1953]

They did more, # 1 in my search

http://www.math.tamu.edu/~don.allen/history/babylon/babylon.html
<http://www.math.tamu.edu/%7Edon.allen/history/babylon/babylon.html>

"... in the Middle Ages people paid little attention to counting let
alone arithmetic ..."

That's why they were the dark ages for the Christian countries.

Remember by 100 bce Greeks had estimated the size of the earth, the
distances to the moon and sun, and the precession of the equinoxes.
[search Aristarchus, Hipparchus, and Eratosthenes.]

However, it wasn't 'till the early 16th cent. that Da Vinci explained
why the crescent moon's night side is not completely dark.

http://millennium-debate.org/ind19april5.htm

From a little further reading it appears that numbers were concomitant
with the invention of symbols for phonemes. Here's one source that
claims numbers extant from five thousand years ago.

http://www.ilovemaths.com/ind_mathe.htm

bc

Jim Green wrote:

That history lecturer from UCLA seemed to say tonight that in the Middle
Ages people paid little attention to counting let alone arithmetic -- and
that there is not much value in the numbers eg time spans -- given in
historical accounts.

When did counting begin?

When did simple arithmetic begin?

Jim