Re: any science to this?

There is something more than anecdotal evidence about a passive
microwave chamber inserted in an emblem hung in a Russian? US Embassy
which would reradiate an audio modulated wave if irradiated with a fairly
intense beam. One or more of the Embassy staff are said to have
developed medical problems from the prolonged exposure.

You will recognize the snooping modality as similar to beaming an
IR laser at a window, and capturing the modulated reflection.

Brian W