Re: Thomas Young's experiment

Attempting to deduce al that Young did is not the right approach;
his work was more sophisticated than you suppose. You really
should read the entire paper. If you cannot locate it then write
to me privately and I will forward a copy.

Young further describes:

"Exper. 2. The crested fringes described by the ingenious and
accurate Grimaldi, afford an elegant variation of the preceding
experiment, and an interesting example of a calculation grounded
on it...."

And then afterwards, in section "II COMPARISON OF MEASURES,
DEDUCED FROM VARIOUS EXPERIMENTS," Young begins:

"If we now proceed to examine the dimensions of the fringes,
under different circumstances, we may calculate the differences
of the lengths of the paths ..."

There is a lot involved in Young's long paper, and you should
really read it yourself to fully appreciate all that he did.

--
Stephen
stephen@speicher.com

Ignorance is just a placeholder for knowledge.

Printed using 100% recycled electrons.