Re: Sometimes physics is fun

My goal isn't to achieve maximum acceleration. My goal is to beat everyone
else and show some creative physics, while maintaining some degree of
safety. I figure, I'll have someone trigger the start and I'll be at the
end of the track with some kind of pillow or net or something to catch the
thing before someone gets hit or something gets broken. I figure I'll aim
the co2 slightly upward to have a component normal to the track.

Josh,

1) Make sure that the sponsors are ok with your approach.

2) I wouldn't use a pillow, I think that a suspended blanket would be
better. But likely you are not the only one in the contest who will use a
similar method. The sponsor should provide the back stop.

3) You are focusing on the propulsion mechanism; remember that your wheels
are not going to touch the ground and that the major friction will be on
the body of the car. Shape and polish the car accordingly. If your
competitors use another type of propulsion, their wheels will be the
driving force and will need to be rubber. Yours should be metal.

4) If the rules say that there may be NO _external_ flame, you won't be
able to use jet fuel. The whole purpose of a jet is to propel the fuel and
or exhaust outside the car -- Ns Laws are still valid. But remember in
addition to the CO2 cylinders there are O2 and Butane cylinders.

5) As I see it a major difficulty will be puncturing the CO2 cylinder, You
probably don't what to do this at the "start" time. You may want to
puncture the cylinders (and I would use several - not one) before the ace
and fill a chamber which has an explosive outlet valve. say a blank 22
shell. Or a loaded one might be more helpful. <g>

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com
http://users.sisna.com/jmgreen