Re: Sometimes physics is fun

A safer alternative is the water rocket, which you pump by hand
andd spray water all over the track.

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Rick Swanson wrote:

Our local high schools do racing with CO2-propelled cars. They go VE=
RY fast and would probably blow right off the standard pinewood derby=
track.

For competitions, they run them along wires. They smack into soft st=
uff at the end of the run and can get dangerous if not controlled pro=
perly.

You could probably figure out a way to control the thrust and you wou=
ld need a mechanism for releasing the gas (normally done by puncturin=
g them).

Cheers,

Rick

Richard E. Swanson, Ph.D.
Dean of Instruction
Physics Professor
Sandhills Community College, Pinehurst, NC 28374
swansonr@sandhills.edu (910) 695-3715

dcrowe@SOTC.ORG 10/24/03 03:19PM >>>
I think my son uses CO2 capsules in his paint ball gun.

Daniel Crowe
Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics
Ardmore Regional Center
dcrowe@sotc.org=20