From: Forum for Physics Educators [mailto:PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu] On Behalf Of
Bernard Cleyet
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2003 10:22 PM
To: PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu
Subject: Political: climate change

Here's an opportunity for those who believe in human induced climate change
to take action. The site is the Union of Concerned Scientists.

Many of you have previously voiced your support for the Climate Stewardship
Act (CSA). This landmark legislation--introduced by Senators McCain (R-AZ)
and Lieberman (D-CT)--is a responsible first step that will require
reductions in the heat-trapping gases that contribute to global warming.
After much legislative wrangling, a Senate vote on CSA has been scheduled
for October 30. Now is the time to redouble our efforts and ensure that, as
the world's #1 emitter of global warming gases, the United States
legitimately addresses this critical issue.

TAKE ACTION:
To automatically send the letter below to your Senators, hit "Reply" and
then "Send", in your email program.

To customize your letter, learn more about the issue, or if this message was
forwarded to you, visit,
http://www.ucsaction.ctsg.com/ctt.asp?u=39143&l=6749

**********
Letter:

Dear Senator,

I understand that the Climate Stewardship Act (S.139) is scheduled for a
vote at the end of this month. I am writing to urge you to plan responsibly
for our children and grandchildren's future, and vote in favor of this bill.
As you know, S. 139 will limit carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases
from major industrial sources. These gases are contributing to global
warming, which will bring with it serious changes to our way of life and
damage America's economy.

Senators McCain and Lieberman have created a practical, market-based
approach that would harness American technological know-how to find the most
cost effective ways to cut our emissions of heat-trapping gases.
Off-the-shelf reductions already available include producing more
electricity from clean renewable sources, limiting carbon dioxide emissions
from dirty coal-fired power plants, increasing the energy efficiency of our
homes and factories, and making cars go further on a gallon of gas. By
encouraging investment in these and other methods, the act would also ensure
that American technology remains competitive as other countries move to
reduce their own emissions.

The United States--with its global technological advantage--should be a
leader in the fight to curb global warming. The Climate Stewardship Act
provides us with an important opportunity to take a reasonable first step
toward addressing this problem, which left unchecked will have devastating
environmental and economic consequences in coming years. The status quo has
obviously failed. In fact, U.S. emissions are nearly 12 percent higher now
than they were in 1990.

Please demonstrate your commitment to responsible stewardship of America's
environment by voting for the Climate Stewardship Act. I look forward to
hearing your position on this issue.

Sincerely,

[Your name and address will be inserted here]

If you have general questions, comments or concerns about this action, send
an email to action@ucsusa.org -- replying to this action will send the
letter.