Re: Political: climate change

Dear Senator,

I understand that the Climate Stewardship Act (S.139) is scheduled for a vote at the end of this month. I am writing to urge you to plan responsibly for our children and grandchildren's future, and vote in favor of this bill. As you know, S. 139 will limit carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases from major industrial sources. These gases are contributing to global warming, which will bring with it serious changes to our way of life and damage America's economy.

Senators McCain and Lieberman have created a practical, market-based approach that would harness American technological know-how to find the most cost effective ways to cut our emissions of heat-trapping gases. Off-the-shelf reductions already available include producing more electricity from clean renewable sources, limiting carbon dioxide emissions from dirty coal-fired power plants, increasing the energy efficiency of our homes and factories, and making cars go further on a gallon of gas. By encouraging investment in these and other methods, the act would also ensure that American technology remains competitive as other countries move to reduce their own emissions.

The United States--with its global technological advantage--should be a leader in the fight to curb global warming. The Climate Stewardship Act provides us with an important opportunity to take a reasonable first step toward addressing this problem, which left unchecked will have devastating environmental and economic consequences in coming years. The status quo has obviously failed. In fact, U.S. emissions are nearly 12 percent higher now than they were in 1990.

Please demonstrate your commitment to responsible stewardship of America's environment by voting for the Climate Stewardship Act. I look forward to hearing your position on this issue.

Sincerely,

James Kilmer