Re: H2

At 8:47 -0700 10/21/03, Shapiro, Mark wrote:

If solar power is used to generate the hydrogen, then a substantial
reduction in the production of greenhouse gases will result. In
addition, by using hydrogen as a fuel there will be a substantial
reduction in the emission of fine particles and smog producing chemic=
als
into the atmosphere. That seems to me to be a substantial overall
benefit.

Unfortunately, that seems like a pretty big "if" right now. All the
proposals I've seen for hydrogen production use hydrocarbons (i.e.,
petroleum) as the source of hydrogen, rather than seawater. If we
insist on using petroleum to produce hydrogen, we are just continuing
the problem until it is solved for us by the final exhaustion of
petroleum.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams