Re: H2

John D wrote in part:

Some people imagine that coal is abundant and will solve
all the world's problems, but the numbers seem to not
bear this out. Some people imagine that U235 is abundant
and will solve all the world's problems, but the numbers
seem to not bear this out.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/fossil-resources.htm

A good read and in particular the references therein.

Having maintained some interest over the last 10 years in "Hubbert type"
analysis, I was a little dissappointed to see no discussion of Hubbert
curves and analysis in the above. In particular, the unrealistic nature of
the magenta production curve of figure 1 was not specifically pointed out,
and hence a good warning regarding the dangers of extrapolation was missed;
though other warnings are provided in the article. Perhaps such discussion
is understandably beyond the scope of what John intends with his monograph.
However, IMO, I think some mention would improve it.

John, thanks for pointing some of this stuff out to Phys-L.

Incidently there is a good AJP article from the early 80's regarding Hubbert
type analysis of non-renewable resources, which amoung other factors
discusses some of the political manipulations of estimates of oil reserves
that have occured in the past.

Joel R