Re: High School Text Recommendation

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:52:40 -0600 "Daniel S. Price"
<dprice@JEFFCO.K12.CO.US> writes:
The department chairman visited my classroom yesterday, enquiring as to
the suitability of the current physics text (Physics, 5th edition, by
Giancoli). I inherited the text and have felt it inappropriate for
the courses in which it is used; rather than relying upon it, I have
used
notes and activities which I have constructed. My aversion to this
text
is nothing special--I've never met a chemistry or physics text which
I've liked, save the text (Halliday, Resnick, and Walker) I use for AP
Physics.

Most physics teachers rely on such a textbook for their high school and
college introductory physics courses. It is much easier than distributing

your own notes or other means of providing basic reference materials for
review.

However, if you wish to present a good physics course that is not
textbook
driven, provide your students with an inexpensive "physics review book"
as their basic text and supplement it with your own notes and suggested
reading references. One of the best such references is the UPCO's Physics
Review book which costs less than $4 a copy. You can obtain an
examination
copy of this book without charge by sending an e-mail to:

kinga@upcopublishing.com

In your e-mail, provide the name and address of your school and let them
know
that your request was suggested by Herb Gottlieb from the Phys-L list
server.

Herb