From: "Tom Wayburn" <twayburn@wt.net>
To: "Forum for Physics Educators" <PHYS-L@lists.nau.edu>
Sent: Friday, October 17, 2003 3:42 AM
Subject: Re: What's "Developmentally Appropriate"?

Dear Colleagues,

By way of tentative agreement with Larry, I don't like the way
through (by?, in?) which my 7-yr-old girl is being taught 1st Grade
arithmetic (at the Harris County Child Development Center *mutatis
mutandi* (sp?)); moreover, I don't see that 'calling' '1st Grade' =
'Primary
White' helps much. What sayeth you-all? Is not '7 + 8' = '15' by
*definition*? Or, shall we assume every integer has an immediate
successor (IS) and argue that 8 = IS(7) according to our god-given
counting numbers (Axiom 0); and, knowing 2 X 7 = 14, conclude that:

7 + 8 = 7 + IS(7) = 7 + 7 + 1 [mod. Associative Rule (= Axiom 1)] =
(2 X 7) + 1 (inasmuch as IS(x) = x + 1 according to our IS Postulate
(=
Postulate 1)) = 14 + 1 (Two-times Times Table (by def.)) = 15
(Post. 1)

--- loosely speaking???

Regards etc. / Tom

P.S. I hope this ain't a 'barkman' [neologism: attrib. ESPN?].