Re: What's "Developmentally Appropriate"?

At 12:49 PM 10/11/2003 -0500, Jack, you wrote

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, Richard Hake wrote:

Alan Kay wrote (quoted by permission...):
>I have observed a very
> talented 1st grade teacher - Julia Nishijima - teach the deep ideas
> of the differential and integral calculus to her 6 year olds with
> 100% success.

Wow! Does anyone know what "success" means in this context?

Regards,
Jack

I speculate that "success" in teaching deep ideas of calculus by additive
examples, means that a six year old would be able to
identify a situation where a small increase in one variable
is associated with a small change in a matched variable
in a named ratio, and that the sum of the values of a matched variable
can be counted between boundaries specified in a given variable that
is associated with the counted variable.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!