Re: Setting up problems

Isn't that the truth. I also use the conceptual questions at the end of the
chapters in Cutnell & Johnson. On my tests I also have more conceptual than
problems and on the problems I also require them to explain what is
happening. They complain about the conceptual questions - they hate having
to think! But, ultimately, by about the end of the first semester, they get
conversant and sorta comfortable in this and really are able to explain
conceptually a lot of stuff. It's a lot of work for teachers too, grading
these type of questions aren't so easy compared to a problem, but I feel it's
really worth it.

Bob LaMontagne <rlamont@POSTOFFICE.PROVIDENCE.EDU> said:

"Frohne, Vickie" wrote:

Halliday & Resnik (the
older versions, anyway) had these great "Questions" at the ends of the
chapter. Usually they're skipped in favor of the "Problems," but the
Questions are there to help with conceptual understanding. Many other
texts
contain similar questions.

Vickie Frohne

I use Serway, which has plenty of conceptual questions at the end of
each chapter. If the students are to be convinced that 'learning the
concepts' is important, it has to be made important. In a typical exam
of 10 items, I give 6 questions of the conceptual type and only 4
traditional numerical problems. Students constantly ask that more
problems and fewer questions be given because they perceive the
numerical problems as being easier to answer. They like the comfort of
being able to fall back on equations when pressed for an answer.

Bob at PC

--
Julie Hilsenteger
Physics Teacher