Re: Setting up problems

Hi Glenn-
If you have found an algebra text that recognizes that algebra was
invented to make problem solving easier, then truly a miracle has
occurred. Please, what is the text?
Regards,
Jack

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Glenn Malin wrote:

I am teaching Algebra 1 again after being away from it for over 25
years. Our school is using a "new" program called College Prep Math. I
am not sure that I am totally sold on the program...a bit too touchy
feelly for my temperament....but it does seem to prepare students for
reading problems and moving in step by step fashion to an end. Problem
solving is never easy but there are approaches that will help students
along the way. CPM has a web site at: http://www.cpm.org

Glenn Malin
University HS
Irvine, CA

prpratap@UNCG.EDU 10/8/2003 10:22:53 AM >>>

Is there some way to teach students how to read a word problem and
then
set it up so that they can then apply the math to it? I don't
remember
how I learned this, but I (and all my colleagues) seem to be rather
good
at this.

Promod Pratap

--
"Don't push the river, it flows by itself"
Frederick Perls